Thursday 27 December 2012

Safari Njema!



Here in Arusha, where we live, it's the safari capital of the world. Although we've lived here a year and a half, and have been on lots of one day, self drive trips to parks with friends, a week ago we did our first overnight safari. It lasted five days. What prompted us was that my parents came to visit. We went to Serengeti, Ngorongoro crater, and also went hunting with the Hadzabe tribe.


It was very cool to sleep in a bed in a tent! Really cosy, but we could feel the night air and hear the crickets. It was my first time to see leopards and cheetahs in the wild. I'd recommend going on safari to anyone. I've lived here for a year and a half, but never in my life have I seen as much open space as I did in the Serengeti.

Safari Njema means to have a good journey in swahili. In swahili a safari means any kind of journey: not just those undertaken in a 4x4 in a national park.

No comments: