Thursday 25 April 2013

Awesomest Library Ever: Amsterdam Schipol Airport Library


This literally stopped me in my tracks on my way back to Tanzania. A library. At an airport. It was a beautiful use of space and one of the most perfect things I've ever seen.
 They had books in all different languages that you could read whilst waiting for a flight, and well as a series of different seats and places to watch videos about Amsterdam on Ipads.


There was also the most beautifully designed children's playroom, which sang birdsong.
The whole place was wonderfully empty. Perhaps the best part of the whole experience was coming across this professional pianist, playing a grand piano in a small corner of the library to an audience of two.
The experience made me question why we don't have more spaces like this in the world, and why more people don't use them.



No comments: